The "O" flute geometry introduced more than a decade ago is one of the most efficient flute designs for cutting thermoplastics that has yet been invented. With a high rake angle and relatively low helix, O-flute cutters manage to cut acrylic, polycarbonate, ABS, PVC and a host of other sheet polymers at very high chiploads without raising a burr or fracturing the edges of the kerf. All of this while leaving a remarkably clean surface finish. The real surprise is that this revolutionary geometry also works incredibly well in wood and aluminum.
One of the recurring complaints about O-flute tools is that the high chipload results in "swirl marks" in the bottoms of pockets. For most applications, this is not a problem but, in the case of side-lit transparent acrylic panels, these artifacts can severely impact the quality of the engraved image. Our radiused micrO-flute tools virtually eliminate these cutting marks, yielding a smooth, near specular bottom finish.
- Medical fixtures and components
- Dental and Orthodontic appliances
- Integrated optical substrates
- Micro-fluidic control assemblies
- Interocular lens fabrication
- Back-lit and Side-lit displays and control panels
- Geometry: radiused micrO-flute®, 1-flute, up-cut, center cutting
- Length: 1.5" ±0.010"
- Diameter: nominal"±0.0005"
- Flute tip radius: Diameter X 0.18
- Shank dia.:
0.1250" (3.18 mm) +0.00, -0.0002"
- Max runout: (TIR) < 0.0005"
- Max. depth of cut: DOC varies by diameter ±0.005"
- Anticipated Life - 6,000 linear inches (ebony, CNC milling)
- Material: solid submicrograin carbide
- Ring Set: 0.800" ±0.002"
- Operating RPM: CNC certified operation 20k RPM to 100k RPM